arrow18 Comments
  1. Harry kemo
    Jun 05 - 5:19 pm

I am newly married within the last 1 1/2 my wife has never owned a home we would like to find a program to help us with the down payment is there any chance for us out there??

2. Douglas Souza
    Aug 21 - 1:08 pm

Thinking if buying my first home and need some information on getting assistance on down-payment and a loan of 217,000.00 thanks

3. Holly
    Aug 29 - 12:45 pm

Hi,

Do you need to be a first time home buyer to qualify for the down payment assistance? I had a shoet sale 2 years ago and I wonder if I can qualify for a home yet.

Thanks!

• Rhonda Porter
      Sep 02 - 7:15 am

You typically need 36 months to pass after the short sale before you can buy a new home. Then you can use FHA for the first mortgage and WSHFC’s Home Advantage down payment assistance.

Your loan approval will depend on how your credit has been since the short sale.

4. Catherine
    Oct 10 - 1:56 pm

Good Afternoon Rhonda,
    My husband and I have found the house that we wish to purchase at an extremely GREAT PRICE. We are first time home buyers, he works directly across the street from the home, and I am disabled. We have already viewed the interior and exterior and are ready to make an offer. And, we are in need of some guidance from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. Randy
    Apr 18 - 2:17 pm

I am self employed and have good to excellent credit.
    My wife makes more money than I do but does not have good credit.
    Would we be eligible for these programs or to buy a house??

• Rhonda Porter
      Apr 18 - 3:57 pm

Hi Randy,
      Possibly. You’ll need two years filed tax returns that will be used to document your business income. Lenders will use the lower of the two credit scores for underwriting and pricing rates. Depending on where her credit scores are, she may or may not be able to be on the loan. Have you had your credit ran by a mortgage professional?

6. Melissa
    May 25 - 8:19 pm

My husband and I interested in buy a home and need help. We are first time buyers and we live in spokane wa. Can anyone give us information on the steps to take. Please and thank u

7. Leo m
    Jun 13 - 6:55 am

How long will it take for the commissioner to sign off on my down payment assistance

• Rhonda Porter
      Jun 14 - 1:35 pm

Leo, if you’re doing a loan with down payment assistance like Home Advantage through the Washington State Housing Finance Commission, then the loan will be underwritten by both the originating lender and the WSHFC. It typically takes a couple days for the commission to review the conditions.

8. Chelsea
    Jun 15 - 4:23 pm

Are all of the loan programs listed, still available for today’s 2017 buyers?

9. Chanel Turner
    Jul 03 - 6:01 pm

I’m doing a loan with a mortgage lender and using the HomeChoice DPA. The problem is, most properties need some repairs and some sellers aren’t willing to do them. Is there anyway I could get an FHA 203(k) loan with the DPA or maybe get a loan after this loan closes for updates to the property even if it passes inspection?