arrow11 Comments
  1. Kary L. Krismer
    Oct 03 - 9:53 am

Is it too late to book a one week cruise to Alaska? I might have a lot of free time on my hands. 😉

• Rhonda Porter
      Oct 03 - 10:04 am

Let’s hope not! We are still moving forward with loans at Mortgage Master Service Corporation. 🙂

2. Toby Barnett
    Oct 03 - 4:23 pm

Hi Rhonda, all my USDA loans are on hiatus just as referenced in the blog. I find it critical to the economy moving forward into a full recovery to have a working government and with the markets retracting on day 3 of the shutdown

The Dow Jones industrial average was down 136.66 points, or 0.90 percent, at 14,996.48. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index was down 15.21 points, or 0.90 percent, at 1,678.66. The Nasdaq Composite Index was down 40.68 points, or 1.07 percent, at 3,774.34. The S&P 500’s 50-day moving average stood at 1,679.84. – Yahoo.com

do you think housing rates will drop or rise the longer the shutdown goes?

• Rhonda Porter
      Oct 03 - 4:56 pm

Hi Toby, I think we may see rates trend lower or stay close to where they’re at during the shutdown and that rates will pop up once the shutdown is over – let’s hope that’s soon!!

• Toby Barnett
        Oct 04 - 10:40 am

I doubt the shutdown will end today and there will be a long weekend of watching the news because it will take 20-30% of (R) votes to open the government according to NY (D) on CNN this morning.

• Rhonda Porter
          Oct 04 - 11:45 am

I agree, Toby. And we have the debt ceiling looming ahead too.

3. […] Because the lender will need to get his tax transcript from the IRS, and as part of the federal government shutdown, the IRS […]

• Rhonda Porter
      Oct 04 - 10:44 am

I wish the blog that linked to my post (see trackback from NOLO) allowed comments… because the article is not completely accurate. Some lenders are proceeding without the tax transcripts (we are!). Lenders will require a signed 4506 and borrowers should expect the 4506 to be submitted for a tax transcript once the shutdown is over. This may be on a case by case basis – self employed borrowers may find it more challenging to close during the shutdown if a tax transcript has not yet been obtained.

• Toby Barnett
        Oct 04 - 11:21 am

I don’t know if my lenders are proceeding with out tax info.

• Rhonda Porter
          Oct 04 - 11:44 am

We are on a case by case basis. It will be more challenging for self-employed borrowers or those where tax returns play a significant role in their income.

4. […] positive tidbit from the government shutdown, it just may be lower mortgage rates. And by the way, we are still originating and closing mortgages during the government shut down. USDA has been reduced to essential functions only and therefore, loans that have not yet been […]